Several weeks ago I shared a few glimpses of positive activities that take place in our classrooms everyday. Your responses got me thinking even more about the value of sharing the positives in life. So I asked our approximately 90 employees, as an Alburnett employee, what do you love about what you do and/or why do you love what you do? Here are a few excerpts from their responses:
- I love the sense of community here at Alburnett. The staff and parents are always helpful in professional and personal lives. There is always someone around the corner who is willing to help.
- The love of helping someone that struggles in school helps me know I’m helping. If I make a difference in the life of just one student, I know I’ve done my job.
- My fellow staff members and administration are very supportive and encouraging and everyone works toward the goal of making Alburnett a better place.
- [Our] students are great! Our student population is a great group of young individuals that come ready to learn. Educating students is the best job in the world because no one else can directly shape the future of our community and our world like we do.
- I love what I do because I get to see growth every day. I get to be a supportive role model and teach students about business/technology related material and life skills. I get to be by their side through the good and the bad. They are changing so fast and have so much potential when they are this age. I just love helping people, being part of their journey, and them being part of mine.
- There are so many things I love about working at Alburnett. We have wonderful students that we get to work with every day, and they come from very supportive families that are great to work with. We also have an amazing staff. I feel very fortunate to call the people I work with not only my coworkers, but also my friends!
- Alburnett is an exciting place to be an educator. I think part of this excitement stems from being given the supportive freedom to explore the possibilities of project-based and competency based learning. This freedom, and feeling included in the conversation toward change, does a great deal for the morale of our staff, making it an enjoyable place to learn and grow together. I constantly find myself in thought provoking conversations with students, staff, and administrators about ways to transform classroom time to better meet the changing needs of students. The key word being: STUDENTS! I can’t express how great it is to have open conversations with students about their opinions of their own learning, and to be a part of transformation. After all, they are at the heart of everything we do.
- I love the caring people I work with. They will help you or do anything to help anybody! The small town feel is the best! More importantly, I love the kids I have the pleasure of teaching every single day, and their families as well! Loving on the kiddos while they are here and making a difference in their lives is so rewarding!
- I like working in a supportive environment with an accessible administration that I can actually find and talk to when I need something! I have worked in big districts before when days would go by and you would not see an administrator or would have to travel to another building to find them. I love the close-knit colleagues and how well we work together. I think it is good to know all of the kids and have their families be so involved in school life.
- I love instilling confidence into students and encouraging them to not be afraid to fail. I enjoy what I do because I can see students achieve their goals and accomplish tasks that they never thought they could do.
- I love getting to know the students, which you can do so much better at a smaller school. I like to get to know students beyond the classroom and to use that to engage them in the classroom. I love seeing students applying learned knowledge and talking about what they learned in their classes.
- Our students are amazing. The best part of teaching is the time I have with them in class, interacting, learning, and building relationships.
- The friendly and supportive environment is what I like about being at Alburnett.
- I love coming to work every day and feeling like I am with family. I enjoy being able to make a difference in student’s lives, and having a positive impact on their learning. There is nothing better than watching students learn and discover new things on a daily basis. Teaching is truly such a rewarding profession.
It’s no secret that I love this school district for so many reasons. Can you imagine being surrounded by these sentiments each and every day?! Happy New Year!